Global Teacher Award
In association with
University of Swahili
The Global Teacher Award serves to underline the importance of educators and the fact that, throughout the world, their efforts deserve to be recognised and celebrated. It seeks to acknowledge the impacts of the very best teachers – not only on their students but on the communities around them.
An inadequate education is a major factor behind the social, political, economic and health issues faced by the world today. We believe education has the power to reduce poverty, prejudice and conflict.
Teachers work tirelessly to provide an education for children around the world so the status of teachers is critically important to our global future. Teacher status has a significant impact on recruitment, retention, job satisfaction and performance.
Studies reveal that in many countries, the profession’s status had dropped and the result of these findings lead to the Global Teacher Award as a response with the aim of raising the profession’s profile.
Global Teacher Award : the impact
We believe the Global Teacher Award is making a real difference to the profession and having a very positive effect at both a grassroots level and on the global stage.
The Award is open to all currently working teachers who teach in School/College level.
Applicants for the Global Teacher Award will be judged on a rigorous set of criteria to identify an extraordinary teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession. The selection team will look for evidence of a combination of:
- Employing effective instructional practices that are replicable and scalable to influence the quality of education globally.
- Employing innovative instructional practices that address the particular challenges of the school, community or country and which have shown sufficient evidence to suggest they could be effective in addressing such challenges in a new way.
- Achieving demonstrable student learning outcomes in the classroom.
- Impact in the community beyond the classroom that provide unique and distinguished models of excellence for the teaching profession and others.
- Helping students become global citizens through providing them with a values-based education that equips them for a world where they will potentially live, work and socialise with people from many different nationalities, cultures and religions.
- Improving the teaching profession through helping to raise the bar of teaching, sharing best practice, and helping colleagues overcome any challenges they face in their school/college.
- Teacher recognition from governments, national teaching organisations, head-teachers, colleagues, members of the wider community or students.
To apply mail to: